Homeless Child wants to add to the recovery of the balance in the world by helping street children in Honduras. Our organization raises money for local development projects in Honduras, and spreads information about our cause in The Netherlands.
Homeless Child and the Millennium Goals
In September 2000 government leaders from 189 countries commited to to solve the world's most important problems before 2015. They set eight specific goals: The Millennium Development goals. Homeless Child contributes to six out of the eight Millennium Goals for 2015:
- Eradicate extreme poverty & hungerWe support the poorest women by giving them vocational training and microcredits, and the poorest children by giving them shelter until they become independent adults with an education and a job.
- Achieve Universal Primary EducationThanks to our support, 140 children are going, right now, every day to elementary and middle school.
- Promote gender equality and empower womenWe support 360 women with information about women's rights, access to birth control methods, vocational training and microcredits.
- Reduce child MortalityThe 140 children we support get access to medical care; particularly the babies and toddlers in the nutrition center.
- Improve maternal healthWe offer access to birth control and sterilization methods to about 360 women. These women have access to medical care. Particularly teenagers, a risk group, are less prone to get pregnant and therefore can avoid risky childbirths.
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseasesAbout 360 women and 90 former street kids have received information about HIV/AIDS and get access to condoms. We give this information regularly and will in the future offer it to new groups of women and kids.